1 of or relating to Queen Victoria of Great Britain or to the age in which she ruled; "Victorian morals"
2 exaggeratedly proper; "my straitlaced Aunt Anna doesn't approve of my miniskirts" [syn: priggish, prim, prissy, prudish, puritanical, square-toed, straitlaced, strait-laced, straightlaced, straight-laced, tight-laced]
3 typical of the moral standards or conduct of the age of Queen Victoria n : a person who lived during the reign of Victoria
- Finnish: viktoriaaninen (1,2,3)
- A person living, or born in that period, or exhibiting characteristics of the
- 2008 May 29 – June 4, Aimee Levitt, "Mind Your Manners",
Times, page 20,
- It was not until the late 1800s when older members of New York society... devised a daunting system of social rules — not to mention silverware — meant to repel anyone of humble origins... . It was the Victorians who gave us such useful implements as the strawberry knife.
- 2008 May 29 – June 4, Aimee Levitt, "Mind Your Manners", Riverfront Times, page 20,
- Finnish: viktoriaaninen (1)
Victorian may mean:
- Saint Victorian, the name of several Christian saints
Gothic, Quakerish, antediluvian, antiquated, antique, archaic, bluenose, censorious, classical, demure, fossil, fossilized, genteel, goody-goody, grown old, hidebound, medieval, mid-Victorian, narrow, of other times, old maid, old-fashioned, old-maidish, old-world, overmodest, petrified, prig, priggish, prim, prissy, prude, prudish, puritan, puritanical, sanctimonious, smug, starchy, stiff-necked, straitlaced, stuffy, superannuated